kontort project space
JORDAN SÖDERBERG MILLS
On View: June 11 to July 23
The Terminus series captures the final moments of light as it is suspended in time and space. The artist uses a specially constructed apparatus, reflecting light rays through a series of filters and into layers of glass – diffusing and extruding this light into physical volumes. This process is calibrated to specific, spectral colours, using intricate geometries to cast different hues. The depth of the apparatus dissipates these wavelengths, layer upon layer, generating a series of digital images that capture their final moments before diffusing into nonexistence.
For more information on the opening reception, please visit our Facebook event page.
“I play with the threshold of particle physics and somatic perception – creating installation, imagery, and experimental objects that investigate the physical nature of the universe and how we interpret it. I set out to create playful objects that iterate my science experiments, making visible the invisible. My current work is with light and optics, approaching spectral colour as a physical medium.” – Jordan Söderberg Mills (2016)
Jordan Söderberg Mills is a Canadian artist currently based in Toronto, Canada, and Santiago, Chile. With an education in art history, architecture, design methodologies, and blacksmithing, he produces experimental objects, installations, and photography that interrogate physics and perception. He has exhibited with the: National Gallery of Chile, Victoria and Albert Museum, Tate Britain, and the Power Plant Contemporary Art Gallery.
Recent press and exhibition participation include:
• Design Exchange + Luminato 2016 (June 10 to 26, 2016)
• An Interview with Jessica Bloom for Format Magazine (June 2, 2016)
• Power Ball @ The Power Plant Contemporary Art Gallery (June 2, 2016)
• Frame Magazine @ Salone Del Mobile Milan, Milan Design Week (April 12 to 17, 2016)
• House & Home's Editor's Picks for the best of the Interior Design Show, 2016 (January 27, 2016) – Jordan’s piece is featured at the 25 second mark from the beginning of the video review
• Urban Toronto review of the Interior Design Show 2016 (January 22, 2016)
For additional information, or to inquire about this exhibition, preview opportunities, and/or general gallery questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hours: Tuesday to Thursday 11 – 4:30 p,
Friday to Saturday 11 – 6 p
or by appointment